Soccer in the Face
I've probably attended soccer games in the double digits by now. With all sorts of nieces and nephews playing this sport, it can be a hard thing to avoid. I put this on the list so that I force myself to go to at least one in the next few years. Little did I know the day would come so quickly. My sister and brother-in-law have six children and currently, four of them play soccer on four different soccer teams. This means that sometimes they cannot be in four places at once. So guess who was responsible for getting my niece Shelby to her soccer game today? (Come on, this is an easy one.) Yes, it was me. I think that I'd almost forgotten why only parents and grandparents attend these games, and it is not for the amazing level of play. Here is just a snippet of what I witnessed at this game.
- One boy repeatedly took his shirt off during the game.
- I'm not sure how many kids that I saw crying.
- One kid sat down in the goal.
- Some kids stopped in the middle of play to run for a drink of water.
- Kids who stepped out of the opponents way if they wanted to kick the ball.
- I saw a lot of proud parents who had very little to be proud of.